Reefer loads and rates got a boost heading into Labor Day weekend. That was a welcomed change after weeks of downward trends. Just like with vans, the Midwest has been getting stronger. In fact, 3 of the top 5 markets for reefer load posts on DAT TruckersEdge last week were in the Midwest.
Top 5 Cities for Reefer Load Posts
2. Grand Rapids, MI
3. Elizabeth, NJ
Darker-colored states have higher load-to-truck ratios, meaning that there's less competition for reefer loads in those states.
Rates below include fuel surcharges and are averages based on real transactions between carriers and brokers.
There were a lot more reefer loads moving out of Fresno, CA, and McAllen, TX, last week, which were boosted by a variety of crops. Hopefully that’ll lead to higher rates out of Fresno this week. The average rate paid on the lane from McAllen to Dallas was already up ▲19¢ to $2.18/mile last week.
- L.A. to Denver was up to peak season prices, adding ▲22¢ to $2.47/mile.
- A couple of lanes out of Chicago paid a lot better: Chicago to Atlanta added ▲21¢ to $2.58/mile; Chicago to Philadelphia rose ▲22¢ to $2.87/mile
- Two lanes out of the Northeast heading into Florida also got big boosts: Elizabeth to Lakeland rose ▲26¢ to $1.99/mile; Philly to Miami was up ▲20¢ to $2.03/mile
Most of the major reefer lanes had rate increases last week, but there were a handful of big drops. While Grand Rapids sits at number 2 for load posts right now, the apple harvest was disappointing this year, and it's hurt outbound rates.
- The shorter haul from Grand Rapids to Cleveland fell ▼42¢ to an average of $3.20/mile last week
- Lakeland to Baltimore rates fell ▼23¢ to $1.27/mile because there are a lot more loads heading in the opposite direction in the off-season -- see the "rising" section above, for a couple of examples.
- Nogales, AZ is quiet, and the USDA reported a surplus of trucks there last week. The competition for loads caused the average rate on the lane from Nogales to Chicago to drop▼27¢ to $1.56/mile
See what other truckers got paid on the lanes you run by signing up for TruckersEdge Enhanced. You'll see the average prices paid on more than 65,000 lanes, based on real transactions between brokers and carriers. To add rates to your TruckersEdge subscription, call 866.487.8253.