Posted on 24 Jan, 2017
Categories: Freight Rates
Reefer rates peaked right around when the calendar turned to 2017, and they've been slipping since then. It's normal for reefer rates to fall in January, and most major reefer rates have been in decline this month. The good news is that a lot of those lanes had been paying a lot more than usual for this time of year, and reefer load posts are still high on DAT TruckersEdge.
Darker-colored states have higher load-to-truck ratios, meaning that there's less competition for reefer loads in those states.
There's been a big boost in reefer loads out of Dallas and McAllen, TX. California still looks pretty cold in the Hot States Map above, but there's more shipping out of there after a week of difficult weather. Sacramento was the only market to see higher rates, with pent-up loads finally able to move eastbound on I-80.
States like Maine, Montana, and the Dakotas look dark in the Hot States Map above, but reefer load posts in those places are lower compared to most other parts of the country.
Rates below include fuel surcharges and are based on real transactions between brokers and carriers.
- Denver to Ontario, CA, rose ▲30¢ to $1.69/mile
- Chicago to Denver was also up ▲23¢ to $2.31/mile
- Volumes are still light out of central Florida, since the main crops for this season haven’t started yet, but the backhaul lane from Lakeland to Charlotte recovered ▲25¢ to $1.46/mile
- Chicago to Philadelphia was down ▼25¢ at $2.68/mile
- Atlanta to Philadelphia paid ▼26¢ less on average at $2.06/mile
- The headhaul lane from Philadelphia to Boston was down ▼29¢ to $3.36/mile -- this is a lane where you especially have to consider traffic, tolls, and potential deadhead on the return trip
- The beer coolers for the Super Bowl in Houston must be full, because reefer rates on the lane from Denver to Houston were back down ▼28¢ to a more typical $1.68/mile
See what other truckers got paid on the lanes you run by signing up for TruckersEdge Enhanced. You'll see the average prices paid on more than 65,000 lanes, based on real transactions between brokers and carriers. To add rates to your TruckersEdge subscription, call 866.487.8253.