Some unlikely places have been popping up at the top of our list of markets with the most reefer loads in the past couple of weeks. If you look at the Hot States Map below, you'll see that Idaho is deep blue. Twin Falls, in the southern part of the state, has been the number 1 market for reefer load posts on DAT TruckersEdge for two weeks in a row. In other words, there are a lot of potatoes and onions that need shipping, and not enough trucks there to haul them.
Eastern Oregon also grows potatoes and onions, and Pendleton, OR has had more reefer loads in the past couple of weeks than either Dallas or Atlanta.
Darker-colored states have higher load-to-truck ratios, meaning that there's less competition for reefer loads in those states.
TOP 5 FOR REEFER LOADS
These markets had the most reefer load posts last week:
- Twin Falls, ID
- Chicago, IL
- Elizabeth, NJ
- Grand Rapids, MI
- Pendleton, OR
Rates below include fuel surcharges and are based on real transactions between carriers and brokers.
- Twin Falls to Chicago rates were up ▲24¢ to $1.89/mile
- Twin Falls to Baltimore paid an average of $2.17/mile, and there are a lot of miles on that trip
- Outbound rates in Dallas rebounded last week and are back to about where they were a month ago
Prices were steady in California for the most part, but two lanes got big raises. They both go to difficult markets, though, so you'll want to make your money going in:
- L.A. to Denver rose ▲28¢ to $2.52/mile.
- Sacramento to Portland, OR was up ▲20¢ and also averaged $2.52/mile
Midwest reefer rates were mostly down, but Green Bay to Minneapolis paid ▲20¢ better, at $2.10/mile
Rates out of Chicago took a step back last week.
- Chicago to Atlanta fell ▼12¢ but still averaged $2.51/mile (That lane has already gained some of that back this week.)
- Chicago to Kansas City also lost ▼13¢ and paid an average of $2.12/mile
Apple shipments might be slowing down in Michigan. The lane from Grand Rapids to Atlanta fell ▼24¢ to $2.32/mile.
One lane out West saw a big drop: Fresno to Denver lost ▼20¢ at $2.02/mile.
See what other truckers got paid on the lanes you run by signing up for TruckersEdge Enhanced. You'll see the average prices paid on more than 65,000 lanes, based on real transactions between brokers and carriers. To add rates to your TruckersEdge subscription, call 866.487.8253.